January 18, 2015
Data Science Association Announcements
Machine Learning Ski Hackathon - February 21 - 28, 2015
The Data Science Association and Big Data in Denver are holding a global Machine Learning Hackathon from February 21 - 28, 2015. The goal is to demonstrate how data science and engineering can improve decisions and quality of life to the public. See site: http://hackski.com.
Contestants will compete to create the best mobile phone app and/or website to be made free to the public to make best possible ski venue and rout/time decision to get to the ski slopes. Any variety of data sources and data science techniques may be used. Contest is open and free to any and all contestants – regardless of geographic location.
Date: February 21 – 28, 2015
Place: Global – Virtual
Contestant Requirements: Free and open to all
Party / Award Ceremony: Saturday February 28, 2015 at Level3 in Colorado (winners do not need to attend physically)
Prizes: 1st Prize USD $10,000 - 2nd Prize USD $ 4,000 - 3rd Prize USD $ 2,000
Contestant Registration @ http://bit.ly/1zYp9dd
Sponsor Registration @ http://bit.ly/1IxjXll
Event: Top 20 Data Quality Solutions & Random Walks for Scale Space Theory - CU Denver - January 21, 2015.
Event: What Database Best-Fits Your Project? NoSQL or SQL RDBMS or DBaaS Services? - New York City - January 20, 2015.
Event: Big Data & CEM Summit Indonesia 2015 - Ritz-Carlton Jakarta, Mega Kuningan - February 4-5, 2015.
New Books from DSA Store:
- Pattern Recognition and Machine Learning
- Pattern Recognition Using Neural Networks: Theory and Algorithms for Engineers and Scientists
- Pattern Classification
New DSA Videos:
- Machine Learning - Random Forests
- Building Predictive Models in Cloud
- Principles of Data Engineering
New DSA Resources:
- Grover's Algorithm - Introduction
- Grover's Algorithm - Slides
- Grover Algorithm Applied to Four Qubits System
- Quantum Support Vector Machine for Big Feature and Big Data Classification
Data Science News Articles
- A Tour of Machine Learning Algorithms
- Python: Lambda Functions
- Top Predictive Analytics Software API
- Data Science Should be Used with Caution
- Visualizing Bayes’ Theorem
- Causation vs. Correlation
- Google Voice to Text Convertor
- So You Think You Have a Power Law — Well Isn't That Special?
- MIT Data Scientists Predict Price of Bitcoin
- Which State Has The Worst Drivers?
- Why Leaders Can't Leave Data Science to the Data Scientists
- Our Machine Masters
Featured Data Science Blogs
We urge you to start your own personal data science blog @http://bit.ly/1dZ9bKI. Great way to share ideas, network and demonstrate your data science acumen.
The following are featured DSA blog posts:
- An ANSI-based Resource-Oriented Clinical Information Repository (CIR) in the Cloud
- Spark 1.3: Stop Using RDDs
- Measurement Issues: Observational Bias and the Streetlight Effect
- Expressions: Arithmetic Expression Parser
© 2015 Data Science Association, Inc. — All Rights Reserved.