March 15, 2015
Data Science Association Announcements
Check out the new Data Science Salary Survey 2015.
The Data Science Association is forming a Data Science Professional Practice Review Board for the International Journal of Data Science (IJDS). The Review Board will create processes and appropriate judging criteria for articles submitted to the IJDS. Please click here and send us a message if interested (may participate from any location virtually).
The Data Science Association's own Michael Malak has a new book on Spark GraphX. Spark and Graphs are two tools rapidly being adopted by Data Scientists. Combine them and you get the GraphX component of Spark. Written in a way that assumes minimal Scala, the book quickly brings readers up to speed on all four: Scala, Spark, definitions from graph theory, and GraphX itself. An appendix provides three quick ways to get Spark running, and the chapters provide explicit examples from the most basic up through machine learning. The MEAP became available on March 6, 2015 and the print version is expected later in 2015. Purchase @ http://bit.ly/1wEn8aC.
The Data Science Association and Big Data in Denver seek members for the Machine Learning Contest Executive Committee. Members will help run the contest, plan the Award Ceremony and participate in judging the submitted apps. You will get inside knowledge on the latest machine learning techniques and mobile app development. Please click here and send us a message if interested (may participate from any location virtually).
Event: How to Query Funnels & Cohorts with Behavioral SQL - New York City - March 18, 2015.
Event: Data Storage Trends and Architectures - Rock Bottom Brew in Denver - April 15, 2015
New Books from DSA Store:
- Spark GraphX In Action by Michael Malak - Data Science Association
- Predictive Business Analytics by Gary Cokins - Data Science Association
New DSA Videos:
- Data-driven Sensory Intelligence - Poppy Crum
- Data: Open for Good and Secure by Default - Eddie Garcia
- Intelligence in the Age of Plethora - Lisa Hammitt
New DSA Resources:
- Scaling-up Importance Sampling for Markov Logic Networks
- Fairness in Multi-Agent Sequential Decision-Making
- Randomized Experimental Design for Causal Graph Discovery
- How Hard is Artificial Intelligence - Evolutionary Arguments and Selection Effects
Data Science News Articles
- Why Data Scientists Create Poor Data Products? 5 Humbling Lessons
- Scientists Warn About Bias In Facebook and Twitter Data
- Is Data Science a Buzzword?
- Sorting Algorithms
- Sorting Algorithms II
Featured Data Science Blogs
We urge you to start your own personal data science blog @http://bit.ly/1dZ9bKI. Great way to share ideas, network and demonstrate your data science acumen.
The following are featured DSA blog posts:
© 2015 Data Science Association, Inc. — All Rights Reserved.